We finished up the second of the twin Rapid Roberts on our next day of work. Alan, Lora and I did the gunwale bolts first thing in the morning. Then I worked on trim pieces while Alan routed sanded and oiled her down. And out the door she goes, down the street to Alan’s house for paint and interior fittings.
We pulled the lines off the original Betty Boop on Valentines Day 2012, just after I had finished a full restoration of her rotting 1967 hull.
But when Jim and I were laying out the side panels, we struggled to make the panel corner angles of Olo match those on the Betty Boop until smoke started coming out our ears. We got very close, but in the end, just gave it our best shot. This time we encountered the same problem and may have solved it by adding 1-3/8 inches to the sheer line length and shifting the position of the rib stations a bit. I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference between the hull shapes of Olo and Brown Betty, but at least Roy and I will know we got the damned angles to agree this time.
In an unusual fit of caution, we clamped the entire boat together before drilling our screw holes to make sure our brainstorm was not going to backfire. It didn’t so we went ahead and screwed her together.