Usually we cut long boards shorter. This morning we cut the two long side-panels longer. Last week we scarfed two pairs of eight-foot panels together into two 15′ 9″ panels–losing three inches to the tapered scarf joint. I figured we’d wait and see how long the panels actually needed to be before we fished preparing them. Maybe we’d get lucky and 15′ 9″ would be long enough. Fat chance. Today we measured Moe and found her side-panels really do need to be a full sixteen feet long. So we added back the wood we lost in the original scarfs. Here I am routing the stair step stack into lovely scarfs–both 15′ 9″ panels, plus two more pieces about a foot long each to recover our full sixteen feet, all cut at once:
While the epoxied joints were cooking, we measured out, faired, and notched the second chine.
And clamped on guide/supports to make the chine placement much easier.
The chine went on quickly and we ground both chines down level with the bottom along the length of the boat. Then I decided we really ought to put some inner gunwales along the top edge of the forward and rear compartments. Just what Nevills did here is unclear–the pictures I took of the inside of the WEN’s hatches left a bit of room for interpretation–as do the plans. We finished out the day by milling out the inner gunwales and notching them in. Every day Moe gets a little more boaty. Tomorrow: the sides.
Leave A Comment