Each year a gang of eccentric old dory boatmen, myself included, try to orchestrate an eccentric river trip for our eccentric clientele. We look for a classic river trip, then add several more days and upstream or downstream miles. This year we are planning an extensive trip in the upper Colorado River Basin including both the Yampa River and Desolation and Gray Canyons on the Green River. Here is the official info from Andy and Kate:
Our planned crew includes the regulars: RJ Johnson, Brad Dimock, Kate Thompson, Tim Cooper, and Andy Hutchinson. Our outfitters, Dinosaur River Expeditions and Colorado River And Trail Expeditions will supply guides and color as well. As usual, a few ducky kayaks will be available for the more adventurous, great food, geo and history talks, and good old story telling around the campfire. River Music? But of course. We are also planning on two additional scholars in the realm of Wild Foods and Archeology to join us!
May 12: Meet at Dinosaur River Expeditions in Vernal
Reservations have been made at Dinosaur Best Western Inn
6:00pm – Meet at Dinosaur River Expeditions in Vernal for trip orientation
May 13 – 20: Yampa and Green Rivers
May 13 at 8:30am – Load into shuttle vans for ride to launch on Little Snake River
May 14 to 20 – Float to confluence of Yampa River, then to confluence of Green River.
May 20 -. Arrive at Jensen at approx. 3:00pm
May 20 – 21: Intermission in Vernal
You will need to make your own reservations/ accommodations for nights: 5/20 -5/21, in Vernal
Dinosaur Best Western Inn will honor a discount for you for being associated with Dinosaur River Expeditions
May 22-29: Desolation and Gray Canyons on the Green River
May 22 at 8:00am – Depart Vernal and drive (your own) vehicle to Ouray, UT. All personal vehicles will be shuttled by CRATE to Green River, UT. Re-launch with dories and CRATE crew.
May 29 – Arrive at Green River, UT in late afternoon, tie-up boats at our lodge, The River Terrace Inn for a final night’s stay and Farewell Dinner!
Reservations have been made at The River Terrace Inn
May 30: Return Home
Notables on “Extended Play” for Dory Moon
• Little Snake River is a new departure point, upriver from main Yampa launch
• We will camp at picturesque Deerlodge Park, Yampa River, on river night 1
• We have 3 added days on Yampa and Green River section (from the average 5-day trip on this section). This means “layover days”
• We have added a 2-day river section above the standard Put-In at Sand Wash on the Desolation section of Green River. The Put-In at Ouray allows for seldom seen views of spectacular Ute Petroglyphs along the river
• Enjoy Fremont/Cowboy/Outlaw History of Desolation, Big Hike opportunities, Art Time, and Down Time
• Design is 3-passengers per Dory
• Scholars are: Katrina Blair, Wild Food and Medicine Expert, on the Yampa and Green River section; and Shanna Diederichs, Ancestral Pueblo and Ute History Expert, on the Desolation of Green River section
Trip Fare: $6,735.00
Your Fare includes: Pre- and Post-trip motel costs; group shuttles; shuttling costs of your personal vehicle from Ouray to Green River; food while on the river.
We will send you a trip packet and forms from each outfitter upon receiving your final payment. There are options to rent sleep kits/tents if you wish.
Due Date: February 15, 2021
Balance Due: April 1, 2021
Full Refunds available up to: May 10, ($100.00 retained for cancelling fee)
Both Outfitters, DRE & CRATE, recommend purchasing Travelers Insurance.
Information will be available in Outfitter Packets which will be sent to you.
Send payments to:
Dory Moon Expeditions
PO Box 1611
Dolores, CO 81323
Please feel free to contact us with any questions. Looking forward to the reunion trip of trips, gang!
Stay safe and keep the love flowing!
Andy & Kate
Dory Moon Expeditions